Friday, August 12, 2011

Heading South - Finally!!!!!

We are at Chaluer Bay. It's the largest bay on the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Getting into the harbor was an experience as you can see from the pictures. Speaking to the dock master this morning, he stated this has been the worst year ever for this area. The swells, wind and the tidal current made rounding Gaspe Cape our own little Cape Horn. The picture even resembles it. Every condition you can think of we have dealt with and we are still going. But, we turned due south for the first time in 2 months.

We had to motor sail 30 of the 45 miles traveled yesterday. We had the same old easterly swell with variable winds from the east and SE. I got hit with a wave, coming around the cape, that was around 8ft and broke into the cockpit enclosure. The salt water gushed through every little hole and soaked me. It was my first time seeing a tidal rip against a large opposing swell. The boat took it well. We just did not expect it to break that high. The enclosure has made the cold weather sailing much easier. Even with this wave, there was no residual water sloshing around. My clothes absorbed what came in. Roy laughed and said that I was just complaining about I haven't been able to swim all summer. One thing checked off my list. Next time I'll put on my bathing suit.

We must have a lot of guardian angels looking after us. We are around Gaspe, hopefully the worst is over. We have a gorgeous day, and relaxing. The dock master took me into town to be gas, food and fresh fish. 10 gallons of gas was $62.00 dollars and a loaf of bread is $3.55 but the seafood is cheap.

Our own little Cape Horn!

We came into this inlet at 11pm, in the rain, no navigation lights and we could hear the waves breaking right in front of us! The width of the opening 25 meters (about 75 ft). It also was not on the chart plotter! The cruising guide did have a picture, that's how we made it!

Looking out Bonaventure Island.

The Cliffs!

Two weeks of intolerable sailing has made us aprehensive about the next day out, but we are trying to not let it ruin what has been a wonderful adventure. Roy's company is on shutdown for the next week, so we are going to concentrate on making miles. We need to get back to the US and start heading south before it gets cold everywhere.


1 comment:

  1. It looks like you are at Chauler Bay. I think you have gone by the nasty part. The water should be warmer from what I see!! Having fun yet!!!! I bet you are! Love, Pops

    ReplyDelete