Friday, April 10, 2015

Mangrovia

Kent and Jane, from Rising Tide, arranged a dinghy expedition of a settlement, we call Mangrovia.  It is actually Boot Key and used to be a bustling island with many fishing businesses and a radio station.  It was connected to the mainland with a lift bridge.  Once Marathon became a city and had to take over maintenance of the bridge, they decided it was too expensive and removed the lift section.

Now, a key you can only get to buy boat, has become a bit of folklore fodder.  So 4 boats decided to go and explore.  To be honest, it was a little freaky.  Sunk boats everywhere.  Ramshackle buildings and  "stuff" just scattered everywhere.  There were a few active fishing camps back there. 

Like I said, a lot of folklore, but I was told that once you staked a claim, it was yours for free.  Not sure if that is true.  Can't imagine living surrounded by mangroves.  The no-seeums have to be brutal.

 Heading back into Mangrovia
 Sunken attempt at building a submarine
 One of the largest iguana's we have seen.  I think sit eats people's pets that wander to the island.
 Our own Gilligan's Island on the south side of Boot Key.
 Sunset from Burdine's.  We go every Wednesday to hear Cory and Ty.  They are both cutting CD's this summer in Nashville, so they may be too big to be back.  We hope not!

1 comment:

  1. Gay Sailors
    A young Aussie joins the Navy. On the day he is about to go to sea, his father warned him to be aware of gay sailors, "But dad, how will I know?" Trust me son, you will know." After 6 months at sea, the ship comes into port. The father was on the dock waiting for his son. The son , seeing his father, got off the ship and shook his fathers hand. 'Well son, how did it go?" " Dad, I found out what you ment about gay sailors." One night I was out on the deck all alone, when a man came by and put his hand on my shoulder, so I threw him overboard. " But how could you tell he was gay?" " Well for three days he swam behind the boat yelling, Throw me a buoy!, Throw me a buoy!" Norbert

    ReplyDelete